Monday, November 23, 2009

Marri 'age' - At what age?


Please have my Family Tree in another tab for easy reference.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
20th Nov 2009
2:30PM
My father: Karthik, Bad news. Sudha fell down in her office while climbing down the stairs and got her leg fractured.
Karthik: Appa, shall I come?
My Father: Wait I will let you know

FYI, Sudha works and lives in Chengalpattu only.
 --------------------

3:15PM
My Father: It seems the injury is heavy. It is difficult to cure in Chengalpattu. So we are going to shift her to MIOT hospital, Chennai through ambulance. So you start from Bangalore now and come to MIOT hospital straight away.
Karthik: Ok Appa, I will start now. I ll reach hospital probably by 10:30PM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kavitha is already in Chengalpattu since she gave delivery to Nambirajan a month back. Latha also came to Chengalpattu and later she along with my father came to MIOT hospital. We 3 took different responsibilities.
Kavitha and my mother are taking care of Vinu, Sriranjani and Nambirajan. I was with my father helping him throughout the process. Latha is going to be the attender for my sister in hospital.
Sudha was operated on Saturday (21st Nov) and she was shifted to general ward from ICU yesterday (23rd Nov) and then only I returned back to Bangalore.
Only because, we 3 siblings were there, my parents were able to tackle the problem without any one else's help.
I have never felt, 4 children were too much for my parents. I (we) have always felt the importance of each sibling throughout my (our) life time.
Now I compare this with the ‘one child’ culture widely getting spread in our society these days. Our generation is planning a lot. We plan till retirement and come to a conclusion that 1 child is more than enough.
Leave alone disappearance of relationships like periamma, periappa, chithi, chithappa,mama etc (uncle, aunt) , leave alone population explosion of our country, there is another side to this 'one child' culture.
Who will be there for that son/daughter after the demise of their parents?  Who will be there to participate in the goods and bads?
I am not recommending everyone to have 4 children. But it is advisable to have at least 2 children (be it of any combination boy-boy, boy-girl, girl-boy, girl-girl). People need some one of their contemporary age as a close relation.
"Ok Karthik, how is this related to the post title?"
Wait wait, I am going to address that only now.
One of the reasons for this ‘one child’ policy is the late marriages happening these days. Boys tend to marry between 28-30 and girls during 26-28. There are proven research about miscarriages during 30s. When a girl, marries after 26, then she will probably give birth to the first child during 28-30. After that, 3 yrs gap for the next child is necessary. So the 2nd child birth ll happen only in 30s.
This is where the couples start thinking like what will be our age when the child attains an age of 20, Will I be able to settle these children before I retire and so on.
I think, the couples should give birth to 2 children before their early 30s for which the marriage should have been done when the guy is during 25-26 and girl during 23-24.
To quote example from my own family, Sudha got married at 24 and she has 2 children now. Even Latha got married at 24 but she had some other issue, so only 1. Kavitha got married during her late 26 and she got a baby just a month back (when she was 28). Now she is reluctant towards 2nd due to age factor.

This is just my personal opinion. You may completely agree, kind of agree or completely disagree . Whatever it may be, pls feel free to share your thoughts.
I know, some well-wishers of mine are now going to ask “Karthik, when is yours?” :)
Don’t worry. Application form will be available online, shortly ;)



14 comments:

jithendrian said...

Yes , I agree , but we can not force any girl or boy to marry at this age or that age. Even though your concept is good with respect to Biological and Psychological perspective , but marriage is an event which (should) happen(s) only once .So i would consider this as a precious event.We need to take close to perfect decision. Most important thing is today's girls are extremely studious and their minimum graduation is BE ( 21 years ) and start earning (3 - 4 L / annum) . They expect a guy who can earn more than 6 digits / annum. If the guy is a software engineer then its ok the guy can get that in 4 years (@ the age of 27) or He should be an MTech / MS and again it comes to 26 or 27.Think about a non-software professional !!! If this is the trend we can not change this. People need Cash than Child , People need money than Man and finally for the safer side we need to earn at least 5 L / annum to apply :) This is the eye-opening topic , good one !!

Anonymous said...

I really like your blogs Karthik.. They are always straught forward, while reading I can feel as if you are talking, Make me think... This one is no exception, and I agree with every bit of it :) !!!

Karthik.R said...

Thanks Sweta.

aap ka shaadhi kab hai? [;)]

Jagadeesh Babu said...

I agree with karthik. But, if you yourself not get settled, then how could you make your children get settled, but, then I can say one thing, i.e., you should not think about your children settlement. Everybody asks for their rights after certain time(age). So, it is their responsibility on their own to get settled after certain time(age). Of course, it seems to be stupid, for a typical indian father, but, it is the fact as per my openion............

Karthik.R said...

//if you yourself not get settled, then how could you make your children get settled//

a nice issue raised by Jagadeesh. This is where our generation differs from the older one which has caused for delay in marriage.

Our benchmark for 'settlement' has increased significantly, eventually, the age of marriage also increased.

Sundar said...

Hello everyone,

I accept with what Jithendrian said. Indian girls are expecting more from the guys than early years. This is my personal opinion; My uncle(periyappa) they had their first baby after 20 years of their marriage. even if they were married at 18 & 20 yrs respectively ( I do not know their ages its my guess),by the time they had their first child their age was late thirties or early forties. The point is the couple can have their children at any age but our attitude towards life is like we should get settled before our marriage and our kids should be settled before our retirement. That is the reason nowadays people like to have only one kid. I believe only if our attitude towards getting settled in life and relating this to the marriage changes our future generation will have relations for their good and bad. Again guys, It's only my opinion.


@ Sri Harsha : by the way Saranya Mohan and Sindhu Menon are sisters for Karthik. Rakhi Sawant is the only option left out. So SMS this option on behalf of me. Thanks.

krishna said...

Let me first tell you this, you are taylor made to write articles like this keep it up !

I agree with you regarding the "one" child myth circling among the recently married

My qustion to them what will that single child do? seeing walls and ceilings of the house, Loneliness is a dreadful thing a man,adult,child can experience who will be there to share his/her feelings, thoughts, ideas etc.. Yes! parents but you have a lot which you cant discuss only with your parents, atleast/atmost two children is essential inorder to make both of them happy and comfortable, i even wont be surprised if government make this as a compulsory rule

Karthik.R said...

@Sundar

Thambi, already I have got millions and millions of messages selecting option 1 ;).

Enna machaan nu nee koopda mudiadhu. So better luck next time :)

Karthik.R said...

@Krishnasami

Thanks man. I thought, I will be beaten left and right for my post. It is a surprise that most of you are agreeing. Looking to see your marriage in near future ;)

'Single Child' life is not that bad. It will be usually compensated by grand parents (But how many children are staying with grand parents? Next blog topic!!?? [:)] ).

My concern is much on the elder age where there will be more happiness to share and even more sufferings to be healed.

krishna said...

@karthik

Marriage for me is shielded by commitments but i will be glad and eager enough to send my invitation to e-mail ids of everyone when the moment comes

"Thanks man. I thought, I will be beaten left and right for my post. It is a surprise that most of you are agreeing."

When something is written in a constructive manner there should be no surprises

"@Krishnasami" its krishnaswami
I am sorry something makes me to correct if my name is messed up eventhough its not a proper noun i am sensitive towards it, my apologies once again

Karthik.R said...

@ KrishnaSWAMI :)

adapavi! invitation hard copy anuppa maattiya?

krishna said...

@karthik

I was expecting this "krishnaSWAMI"


Directa nerla vandhu kodupaen da edhuku postla annupanam

Unknown said...

u are absolutely right..Increasin maternal age is definitly a risk factor for the fetus..(down's syndrome)as well as increasin paternal age...As a medico i'm well aware of all these.. but...take me as an example...I completed MBBS at 23...n I can't stop wit this..I gotta do my masters...If i hav 2 get married at 23..,will I concentrate on my career or my family?...This s nt my problem but d [problem of every female medico...Probably u IT ppl won't b experiencin dat...someone has 2 find a gud solution 4 dis...IMO, it'll be better if one gets a PG and marries..even then PG takes 3 yrs atleast...then I'll probably be 28 wen i get my first child...so wen 2 hav my second child?..yeah..Ofcourse down's s common in an elderly female in her first pregnancy only...the risk s comparitively low 4 d second one...If i can hav d support of my hubby and my inlaws.., i cud probably balance both..Thanks 4 bringin up d tpoic

Karthik.R said...

@Subhashini

"blog la vandhu kalandhukiteenga, romba nandri ma! unga manasukketha madhiriye kanavarum, in-laws um amaya indha 'scribbles of karthik' blog saarba vaazhthukkala therivichukurom"

@all
couldn't recollect? then you have not seen Kalyaanamaalai pgm in SUN TV :)