Saturday, October 17, 2009

Another Karthik is born


pada.....  Oh started!

pada pada...... Hoh :(

padapadapada.......sssssssssssssssssss

padapadapadapadapadapadapada......... Iyyo! Why are you all making this much noise?

Now comes my elder sister and starts questioning me. "What were you doing
till your school days? How annoying were you? How much noise and smoke you generated?  Most importantly I know how much paper garbage used get accumulated outside our house since I was the one who sweeps the next day morning"
I can't deny anything as it was 100% true. I was a most annoying creature.
Rewind. 10 years before....
On Deepavali, we will wake up at 4AM (sometimes at 3AM too). My mother, my 3 sisters (!), my father and I, totally 6 members. It will take solid 2 hours for every one of us to finish taking oil bath. I will be the first one to get ready, wear new dress, eat deepavali marundhu (it is a bitter paste kind of stuff) and start burning crackers.
I was the alarm for our neighbors. They will wake up scolding me. From early morning to 10AM, i will burn walas, lakshmi vedi, high decibel naattu vedi etc. Idli tiffin in between. I will complete all the comparatively costly crackers by 10AM. Then follows the 'bijili' session from 10AM to 6PM. Packets and packets of Bijili under hot sun. My hands will get black. My nails will get damaged because of continuously removing the paper wrapper of all those crackers. [My sister will say ‘Dey konja neramaavadhu ulla vandhu iru da’]  Those days, it will always rain on during deepavali ( Don’t know why no rain these days on deepavali). In that rain gap, I will have diwali special lunch. Evening: rocket, flower pot, chakra and all colorful stuffs. I will end deepavali with snake tablets. Full house will be under smoke.

My sisters will curse me. No one from my house will come out and enjoy the cracker show. All will be held up with Solomon pappaya pattimandram, movies and other special TV shows. I will mock at them and will think that they were wasting their life without enjoying the great festival.

As I became older and older (I am still young :P ), I slowly lost interest in many things and my ears got less and less tolerant. I became someone whom I mocked earlier.
But I have to start burning cracker again with my nephew. This deepavali is something special since my 3rd sister Kavitha  gave birth to a male baby on Oct 11 (other 2 sisters have girl children).
Another Karthik is born! Get ready to close your ears :)
Padapadapadapadapada…..

No comments: