Saturday, December 4, 2010

My conversation with Bombay Jayshree about Ilayaraaja

Yesterday, I had been to Garden City college to see (most importantly, to listen) concert of Pandit Hariprasad Chaurasia (6:30PM-8PM) and Bombay Jayshree (8PM-9:30PM) organised by SPICMACAY. Myself, my friend Jithu went with Prof. Sadagopan and his wife. We went early and Bombay Jayshree also came at 6PM itself though her program was scheduled only at 8PM.

No wonder, Bombay Jayshree was aware of Prof. Sadagopan. He introduced me to Bombay Jayshree. We had some casual discussions about how 'Bombay' got attached to her name, her view about current form of concerts etc. I was waiting to get her thoughts about Ilayaraaja.

Here goes my conversation with Bombay Jayshree about Ilayaraaja.

Me: I would like to call myself as a devotee of Ilayaraaja. You have sung so many popular numbers..
B.J : (Interrupted) Not many (with a smile)
Me: At least most of your numbers are popular. My favorite song of yours is 'Kai Veenayai Endhum Kalaivaaniye' from the movie 'Vietnam colony', Ilayaraaja's composition. I would hear that song in loop for hours together.
B.J: You know what? It is my favorite song. But it didn't become very popular.
Me: Can you tell one line about Ilayaraaja?
B.J: How can I tell just one line about such a great composer?
Me: Well, I would like to hear more about him. 
B.J: Working with him is a great learning experience. If I sing one song for him, it will be a lesson for one year. I learn a lot while working with him.
Me: It is usually told that Ilayaraaja does not give much freedom for singers. Being a classical singer, does he consider your improvisation?
B.J: The notion of 'freedom for singers' itself is wrong. Singers are just part of a song. There are many more factors like situation, actors etc. About Ilayaraaja; he would have already set some high standards for singers while composing. It will be a big task to accomplish that. We won't have anything more to make it better because he is already at the top. At times, if I add something and if it is nice, he will appreciate and accept. If it is not ok, he will say a strong No. A movie will be in some form before Ilayaraja gives his music. The moment, Ilayaraaja adds his music, the movie will take a completely different dimension. So he knows what is needed for a song.

Actually, it was looking like she would speak more and more about Ilayaraaja. But it was already 6:30PM and it was time for Pt. Hapriprasad Chaurasia's concert. Organisers were asking everyone to get settled. So I thanked her and took a leave.

It is a known factor that most of the people in music industry are fans of Ilayaraaja. But it is always a nice feel for a fan (a devotee) like me to hear about him from people who are popular musicians.

No doubt, performance of both Pandit ji and Bombay Jayshree were so soothing. It was definitely a satisfying day.

6 comments:

jithendrian said...

Your blog unusually like a 'just a report' rather conveying feelings !! which you do even for mokka movies..
Neverthless sometimes the happiness in mind can not be worded in letters !!!
Anyway good enjoyment

Sugeeth said...

Nice post, karthik.

Vijay Venkatraman Janarthanan said...

Hi Karthik!

Sometimes we forget that professionals too can admire the masters in their fields! Though I am not surprised that Bombay Jayashree felt so about Ilaiyaraaja, I am very happy that she has chosen the right words to speak about him, without any hesitation! Thanks to her and to you Karthik, for sharing this information. Can I share your blog link with my friends so that they are able to read this post?

Thanks in advance for your kind permission,

Yours Always Musically,
Vijay.

Vijay Venkatraman Janarthanan said...

Hi Karthik!

Sometimes we forget that professionals too can admire the masters in their fields! Though I am not surprised that Bombay Jayashree felt so about Ilaiyaraaja, I am very happy that she has chosen the right words to speak about him, without any hesitation! Thanks to her and to you Karthik, for sharing this information. Can I share your blog link with my friends so that they are able to read this post?

Thanks in advance for your kind permission,

Yours Always Musically,
Vijay.

Karthik.R said...

@ Dr. J Vijay Venkatraman

I have heard about you and the yahoo groups. Nice that you visited my blog.

Please go ahead and share the link. After all, it is for public reading :)

karun said...

Nice Post Karthik...